Have you grown tired over the years of watching your old cabinet in your room, or perhaps your kids beds have become to small for them to use any longer? No need to worry, for you can still make use of these things by donating it to a charitable institution and allow the furniture to make someone else as happy as it once made you. There are many people out there who may have written in their wish list that they’d like a cabinet or bed for their kids, and you may be the answer to their prayers. Many people all over the world are suffering in poverty these days, and it may be due to some uncontrollable circumstances beyond their ability to help, such as calamities that left them with nothing. And so, if you want to know how to donate furniture to Salvation Army and to other charitable institutions, then read on.
How you can help
Once you have sorted through your home for possible things that you no longer have a use for keeping around, think about some charitable act and decide donating it to some organization who may have some access to people who are in need. For example, the Salvation Army, who have been instrumental in delivering goods to people who are less fortunate. The following are some simply ways in which you can possibly make a difference by donating furniture to Salvation Army.
- Contact Salvation Army through their online services. From there, you may finally see how well they are doing in their business by helping a wide variety of people. You may be able to read related things about them and be able to know how they conduct their donation processes.
- As soon as you are ready to contact the Salvation Army, be certain that you are aware of everything you need to know, such as if their Salvation Army furniture pickup service is still operating and if your area has access to such a service.
- Be sure in knowing if they have their own center near your home where you can readily contact them and be able to make your pickup schedule. Due to the fact that this organization has been doing this charitable service for those who rely on it for several decades now, there is a good chance that they have spread throughout your state. Unlike other organizations, in Salvation Army, anything that you want to donate is accepted save for, of course, things that are clearly useless and beyond repair for anyone to use.
Things to consider
In Salvation Army donate furniture pick up, there are a few things you will need to consider, such as whether they offer to give donation receipts in exchange for your kindness. Certainly, they offer donation receipts to their donors, as they are aware that these receipts are useful to them. There are people who would rather donate things to them because they are aware of the fact that the receipts they get in exchange assist in minimizing their tax payable. When you are in a position where you need to consider this, just remember that the Salvation Army does offer these receipts. It could also serve them as their record for the transaction made. ANother thing to consider is if they offer their pickup services for free, or if the donor should be prepared to give their counterpart such as for the service charge for their personnel of the fuel of the vehicle used. Regardless, still the donor can expect to receive their due receipts.
It can be quite confusion when it comes to donating furniture to other people who may be in need of what you have no use for. This can be made even more confusing if you are looking to donate furniture to veterans. Veterans have been one of the many organizations these days that accept furniture donations aside from food and clothing. They operate anywhere in the world and are often made the topic of discussion among many donors worldwide. It has been known that they help every family who lie among the poverty level of the society they are a part of.
Some useful steps
When donating your furniture to veterans, you will need to follow these useful steps in order to be able to have the smoothest flow of transaction possible during the donation process.
- Once you have decided to donate your furniture, include as well any other things you may wish to donate, so you will be making your entire donation at once. Get all the things you want to donate in one place in your home where you can easily have it picked up by the organization you wish to donate with. Make sure that it is in a place near your gate, making it easier for those picking it up, particularly is you are donating some potentially heavy furniture.
- Separate the things that you think may no longer be useful to the person receiving your donation. When you get to donate, it is your job to make sure that everything you are giving can still be useful to others and is not just a piece of junk you no longer wish to have cluttering your home. To avoid this, you check first each and every thing you are intending to donate and separate it from those that would be better suited to the trash bin. It could be very inhumane on your part if you include in your donation things that are junk, for these are people like you that are receiving these things, in spite of how little they have, they still wish to have things that can be of use to them.
- When you are ready to get ahold of the organization, make sure that all your queries in regards to your donation are being well addressed. What you need to know includes first and foremost if they will pick up your furniture and on what schedule they can take your donation away. Make sure, as well, that they offer donation receipts that you can use during your income tax processing later on.
- When it comes to furniture, if you think that a minor repair could prolong the life of your furniture, then you should make the necessary repairs before donating it. There are organizations that would never accept any old, dirty or rickety furniture. Since they will be giving it to other people who have been hoping to acquire good and useful furniture, make sure that your furniture is truly functional and presentable for the receiving party. if you have furniture that is simply too old looking, but it still sturdy and useful, the simple fix is to repaint it to make it look nicer and cleaner. For the furniture that you know has fault, you should repair it first yourself or hire someone who could repair it in your stead.
- Once you are ready, look for ways that you can contact and donate furniture veterans organization in your area. They are most well known by other charitable institutions as well as politicians. Therefore, if you have no idea how to contact such an organization, you can easily go to your local government unit in search of numbers to contact them. You can also visit an online site wherein you can search if you can contact them online, or better yet, check your local radio or television stations. These institutions would surely know how to contact the organization you are in search of.
You may be wondering why you should be looking to donate to veterans rather than anyone else, and this question comes with a simple explanation. This non-profit organization has already been helping the most indigent families all over the world, especially to those countries whom they know are desperately in need of their support in terms of material possessions. Statistically, the poverty level has been continually increasing every minute worldwide. There are more people who never have the chance of acquiring very simple material things such as tables and dining chairs.
Thus, veterans and other charitable institutions that have operated for a non-profit have been instrumental in helping these people through facilitating sending out to them those things that others have donated. How to donate furniture to veterans is far from difficult if you only have the right ways on where and how you can contact then. So, when you get to donate more, make sure that you donate it to them and you can ask your friends to do the same as well.
What you can get in Return
You will not receive any material recognition in return for your donation, save for the donation receipt you can expect right after the donation is made. This receipt could then become a useful instrument for you, as you will be able to deduct the amount of the donation if the organization would issue a receipt to you from your taxes payable. Typically, most non-profit organizations give out donation receipts, as they are very well aware of the fact that it is useful to donors as well as it has become the standard operating procedure that should follow a donation. Therefore, when you are not so sure if the veterans, too, would issue receipts, then you should inquire about that when you contact them about your donation. Aside from the receipt, what you will receive in return is something that you will feel in your heart. The feeling of having made other people happy because of your donation is quite payment enough, and no amount of money can match that feeling of satisfaction. This is the reason that many people have chosen to donate their old furniture rather than sell it, so they can enjoy the self satisfying factor of having done a good deed.
It appears that there are a number of people who find themselves clueless when it comes to being aware of the procedure on how to donate furniture to goodwill. These people miss valuable opportunities to donate, particularly if they happen to stumble upon an institution in the process of searching for the right charitable institution to channel their donations with.
As fate would have it, the reason goodwill has not been recognized by other donors, especially those that are new in donating their goods, is that goodwill is the only institution that has been omitted in the list of possible charitable institutions among others. The reason for this is that goodwill has opted not to be included on this list, as they have their own website wherein donor can contact them.
Therefore, if there is ever a time in which you wish to specifically channel your furniture donations to goodwill, you have the ability to simply search for their company name, and you will be directed to their website.
Things to consider in donating furniture to goodwill
Your donation is generally for any person in their recipient list and most of them are truly in need of these things. So, when you are looking to give a donation, be certain that it can readily be beneficial to the person receiving it and will not cause any problem in their lives. Goodwill, on the other hand, tends to be strict when it comes to enforcing their procedure of donating. Therefore, when you wish to make a donation to goodwill, be sure to make sure everything is in order and have the items to wish to donate properly prepared prior to the schedule of the donation. The following are matters you should consider prior to making your donation to goodwill.
- Is your furniture potentially useful to others? When you want to donate your furniture through goodwill, you must ask yourself first this question. As you will be doing so in order to assist other families in need, it only makes sense to make sure you are only giving them things that could be of use to them.
- Is goodwill going to pick up your furniture for you? This question appeared to boggle the minds of most people. It could be quite a hassle to have to haul heavy furniture on your own. Typically, when you donate clothes and food though goodwill, they will refer you to your local collection center. However, in cases wherein you explain to then that it could potentially be a hassle for your to transport heavy furniture to their collection center, they will readily refer you to their donating furniture to goodwill pickup program, which could be more to your liking and convenience.
- Will someone be able to assist in hauling heavy furniture? This too could be answered when you get to refer it to the goodwill staff. It may depend on the availability of their workers at the particular time you request. If they don’t happen to be too busy, there will certainly be someone who is able to help you in the process of hauling your heavy furniture from your house to their collection center near you. However, in the aftermath of hurricane Sandy, they are often busy and will not be able to space someone to assist you, as most of their personnel are busy assisting the victims and giving out the basic commodities such as food and clothing.
Knowing some steps in donating
If you are certain you wish to channel your donation through goodwill, then you would do well to give the following steps a try so that you will be guided properly. Goodwill can often be quite strict on some matters pertaining to the donation of furniture.
- Decide what furniture you have that you no longer feel as if you have a use for and wish to donate to Goodwill. If you have plenty of furniture to donate, be certain they are still useful and in good condition. If they aren’t, your best option is to repair it or throw it away. Be certain to keep in mind that Goodwill will not accept donations that cannot be of use to a person in need. So, you should first place all of your furniture in one place and separate them into groups of things that need to be repaired and polished from the things that are useless.
- You may either opt to repair these things on your own or allow someone else to refurbish them in your stead. After your furniture is repaired, you can repaint it yourself and maybe even have a good time doing it; repainting can be the easiest part of this task. You can still make some minor repairs that can be fixed with a few hits of your hammer to straighten some crooked legs or lose nails and screws.
- Once you have completed the necessary steps in regard to making your furniture presentable, you can begin contacting Goodwill. However, based on their website, they often prefer their donors to simply drop their donation off at their nearest donation center. Though, if you are looking to donate furniture, then you need to negotiate it well with them first. If the goodwill donate furniture pick up is willing to pick up your donation from your home, then this is a great option for you to seize. Typically, they have schedules on some area, so you should expect to wait for them to come around your area in order to pick up your furniture.
- There are some cases in which you will be the one to go to their center and give your furniture to them, and if this is the case, be certain not to leave your furniture outside their centers unattended. You should wait for the one in charge in their center to speak with you before you leave. This is due to the fact that most donors would necessarily want to get their expected donation receipts, which can be useful when filing for income taxes.
- As soon as someone can entertain you regarding your goodwill furniture pickup, make sure that your donation has been well accounted for and know is it can be of help to families in need. There are some instances, however, in which a multitude of people have been donating similar goods and the charitable organization will sell them to other countries in bulk and the proceeds gained from this transaction would be used to benefit families who would rather ask for other goods. This is why you need to ask if your furniture will be readily shipped to your recipient or sold in exchange for money to purchase the recipient something they need even more.
Is there anything you have lying around your house that you never want to use again? It may be your old cabinet upstairs that’s sole purpose is to collect dust, or the set of tables and chairs in the dining room you bought ages ago but never use? If this applies to you, get it all in one place, clean it up and be sure that you are certain you wouldn’t miss these things if you were to never see them again. If you are certain you are prepared to part ways with these things, look for an organization in which you could donate these objects to. You may be one of those people who may want to have a reason why you should donate your furniture to these organizations. Many have often called for help from furniture pickup Los Angeles when they want to donate their furniture to organizations. If this is so, knowing the reasons that motivate people to donate their old furniture could give a good explanation to why people look for some organizations or groups of people to entrust their used furniture with.
- Change of taste. Often, people decide that they want to have something different in their homes to look at than the things they have had for years. Furniture, often, is the subject of change in a home.
- No place to store old things. Most homes these days are designed to suit the needs of the people living without the thought of reserving some space to stock their old things. This way, when you have a small space used for storage, you will have no need to dispose of old things, such as furniture, to a new location.
- Share some things. There are also some people who would think to donate furniture Los Angeles schemes to help others by sharing things they have an abundance in, such as food, clothes and even furniture that they no longer need but are still in good condition. There are many non-profit organizations in the modern day that are more than willing to accept furniture donations, especially in the Los Angeles area.
Where to donate
Most frequently, people naturally wish to know where to donate furniture in Los Angeles. This is what readily comes to mind when they are in a situation wherein they are in search of a place to give their old furniture. Where, then, are they to turn?
There are so many organizations located in Los Angeles for them to turn over their old furniture to. The following are some of the suggested organizations that usually cater to the needs of the donors:
- Salvation Army – Regardless of where in the world you are, when you think of donating something, be it old furniture or not, this non-profit organization is a great place for you to turn to. This organization actively aims to help families all over the world to raise their standard of living to a decent one. They are aware of the fact that some families in the world are less fortunate than others, with no furniture to sit on or eat their meals, and they strive to change this fact. So, when they find someone who is willing to donate furniture, they are more than willing to accept it and give it to those families in accordance to their priority list. They also offer pickup services for the donors and offer them receipts of donation.
- Goodwill — This is another very well known non-profit organization operating worldwide and often willing to accept donations of furniture. They typically have some pickup services, but you need to contact them prior to the fate that you wish to dispose of your furniture on, as they operate in various countries, too, and often make schedules for pickup. They, too, offer receipts of donations that you can use when you file for income tax return.
- L.A. Shares – This is a non-profit organization that has been known to operate for a couple of decades that aims to help less fortunate families residing in L.A. They have given out everything from food, clothing and even furniture. They have already helped over a couple thousand families in Los Angeles for several years, and of over approximately a hundred thousand dollars worth of goods to their recipients. They also pick up furniture and send it to their recipients free of charge for both parties involved. THey operate online and have required their recipients to have their wish list, or a list of things they need, and send them when they receive donations from other people.
- Other charitable organizations – In addition, they are other smaller non-profit charitable organizations in Los Angeles that also cater to people who wish to donate furniture in LA. When you get to donate your furniture, make sure that you look for people who could have some connections to these local organizations.
It may be easier to merely think of the procedure in donating things you want to share with other people. However, when you’re faced with the procedure of donating, it can be very confusing as to where to begin. You need to have an easier way to donate your furniture, and the following simple steps are likely to be of use to you in this situation:
How to Donate
- Begin by organizing the things you wish to donate. Check your furniture, and make sure it can still be of use to its new owner. Separate the things that are not useful from the things that can be. It could be shameful to give away useless junk to someone in need. Make sure that you clean up and dust everything off in order to make it presentable to others.
- Search for an organization that you can donate your furniture to. If you are unfamiliar with the charitable organizations that consist of your options, you can ask your friends or search the net to help you decide what will be the best decision for you to go with.
- Contact the organization that you know of and inquire what their procedure is regarding donations. You must also inquire whether or not they offer pickup services and, if they do, you must also ask what their schedule is for this so you can be home when they drop by to pick up your old furniture. Furthermore, make sure that they also give donation receipts to use when filing your tax return for the year. You must know that donation receipts may be deducted from the taxes payable and make your tax due smaller.
Do you have used furniture in good condition that is ready to be dumped in the trash? If so, consider the alternative of donating furniture in Chicago to a variety of organizations that will welcome your used items. Such places include The Ark, Clearbrook, Encore and More, Lamb’s Farm Thrift Shop, Goodwill Industries, Mt. Sinai Hospital Resale Shop, ORT Thrift Shop, and The Sharing Connection. Additionally, you can donate used furniture in Chicago to The Salvation Army which is located across the country, Home to Stay which provides used furniture for those who are homeless, Cathedral Shelter of Chicago, The Economy Shop, Brown Elephant Resale Shop, and Chicago Public Schools which will allow you to donate furniture to a specific school system. Donating your furniture to charitable organizations will not only benefit you in clearing your home but will be of great support to those in need.
If I want to donate furniture in Chicago, is a pickup service available?
Although most organizations will offer a free furniture pickup service in Chicago, it is best to call in and confirm the policies of each location as they will differ. Once you call, you can arrange a schedule for pickup. Some places such as The Ark require a minimum of two pieces of furniture to provide a pickup service and are limited to the northern suburbs of the city. Most places will pick up furniture from your home for free, saving you time and effort.
Are there requirements that need to be met when I donate furniture in Chicago?
Other places might not be limited to just furniture but also accept kitchen appliances, clothing, and household items. There are locations that have a specific list of acceptable furniture and will decline any donations that are exclusive to the list.
It is important to keep in mind that it is costly for charities to provide free furniture donation pickup in Chicago. They must cover costs for vehicles used for pickups and employees who are responsible for doing the heavy lifting and picking up of furniture. Without volunteers, charities must hire paid individuals to complete the task. Charities may also decline items that are damaged, dirty, and unusable. If an unusable furniture is picked up, the organization will have to take it to the dump. To save unnecessary time and effort, it is encouraged that when you donate used furniture in Chicago, it is in the best condition possible.
If you have unwanted sofa, chair, desk, and or any other furniture at home that you want to dispose of and are looking to donate furniture in NYC, there are several options to do so. Donating can be a worthy cause as there are individuals in need including homeless women, men, children, low income families, refugees, and victims of domestic violence who can greatly benefit from your contribution. There are many charity organizations that welcome furniture donations such as J-CAP which is located in Queens, The Furniture Distribution Program, Housing Works Thrift Shops, Furnish a Furniture, Nazareth Housing, Institute of Jewish Humanities, and the United Jewish Council Vintage Thrift.
If you are located in Long Island and Upstate New York and would like to donate furniture, organizations that accept your donations include Volunteers of America of Western New York, Saint’s Place which accepts your furniture to help set up the apartments of refugees, Catholic Charities Housing Office, The Economic Opportunity Council, and the Big Brother Big Sisters.
Other places in NYC to donate furniture include The Salvation Army, Goodwill Industries, Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, and Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA). Please call these organizations to locate the closest location to your home. You also have the option to donate through the Mayor’s Volunteer Center in NYC. This is a non-profit center that are partnered with many donation centers and can connect you with individuals in need.
Finally, The NYC Stuff Exchange website allows residents to search for locations close to their home where they can donate their used furniture. The state promotes the reduction of waste created in the city by encouraging residents to reuse and recycle materials and donate furniture in NYC.
Do locations provide furniture pickup in NYC?
Most locations will provide a furniture pickup service in NYC for free. However, you also have the option to drop off your furniture. This all depends on where you plan in NYC to donate furniture. For instance, Nazareth Housing requires a one week notice prior to the desired pick up day and only provide furniture pickup services on Fridays. It is best to call the location of your choice prior to donating.
Can I donate any furniture in NYC?
There are organizations that only accept specific furniture and others that accept a broad range of items. For instance, J-CAP provides assistance to at-risk groups and accepts bedroom furniture and air conditioners for windows. The websites of many organizations will provide a list of acceptable donations. There may be times when a certain location declines your donation due to damages or because it exceeds a certain weight. This varies from one location to another. However, most organization encourage individuals in NYC to donate furniture that are in good condition.
If you have old furniture lying around in your home and are wondering where to donate furniture in New Jersey (NJ), there are many locations that will happily accept your donation. Your decision to donate furniture in NJ is a great alternative to simply throwing away items of furniture as there will most likely be people who will happily pick them up. It is recommended that you find locations close to your home to make furniture donation in NJ as convenient as possible. Many charity organizations will gladly accept a wide range of unwanted furniture. These include Habitat for Humanity (who asks the community to donate furniture in NJ that is useable and fully functional), Interfaith Furnishings in Randolph, NJ, Home Front NJ, Rescue Mission of Trenton, Rise Greater Goods Thrift Store located in Highstown, NJ, Treasures Thrift Store located in Hewitt, NJ, Vietnams Veterans of America, The Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation located in Burlington, NJ, Interreligious Fellowship for the Homeless in northern NJ, George Street Thrift Store and Warehouse, Northwest New Jersey Community Action Programs, and The Salvation Army. These organizations are located across the state. If you are located in the Newark Area, Goodwill Rescue Mission, The Institute of Jewish Humanities, and Do 1 Thing are places where you can donate furniture in NJ. When you donate furniture, many charitable organizations will provide you with a tax-deductible receipt upon furniture donation pick up in NJ.
Additional locations include College Hunks Hauling Junk which provide furniture donation pick up for those who wish to donate furniture or any unwanted household items. Some locations will even provide you an incentive to donate furniture in NJ. This includes New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program which offers $50 to residents who recycle their refrigerators and freezers. You can arrange a free furniture donation pickup in NJ by calling 877-270-3520 or schedule a donation pick up online.
How do I donate furniture in NJ?
All locations will either ask you to donate furniture in NJ by dropping it off at their location or arrange an appointment for furniture donation pickup. You may find out more information regarding their furniture donation pick up policy by calling the locations.
Are there any requirements for when I donate furniture in New Jersey?
Some locations only accept certain types of furniture and furniture that is fully functional, in good condition, and useable; whereas, other locations may accept a wide range of furniture. For instance, Rise Greater Goods Thrift Store will only accept people who donate furniture that is on sale at their store. Similarly, many locations such as The Salvation Army and Interfaith Furnishings maintain a list of items they will accept. Many locations not only encourage individuals to donate furniture in NJ, but also accept household appliances and clothing. It is best to call the organizations to confirm eligible equipment beforehand as the policies vary from location to location.